Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Home Made Laundry Detergent

The first time I ever made laundry detergent, I made liquid detergent, and after all the messy melting, boiling, stirring and pouring, I knew I'd never do that again.

So I tried the powdered version next. I don't remember where I found the original recipe (most likely Pinterest ;) but I have since adjusted and tweaked it so it's perfect for us!

There are 5 of us (3 males, so stuff gets dirty!) and we use an HE front loader washer.

What you need:
  • Cheese grater or food processor
  • 1 bar of castile soap  (about $2.50)
  • 2 cups of Borax (about 95c)
  • 2 cups of washing soda (about $1.25)
  • 10 drops of preferred essential oil - I enjoy lemon or other citrus scent (optional)
  • Container (preferably with a seal to keep moisture out)
What to do:
  1. Grate your bar soap using a cheese grater or a food processor, which is what I use when I'm in a rush (i.e. most of the time). 
  2. Add all ingredients to your container (including your essential oil if you have chosen one) and shake/mix well. If your container is large, or hard to shake, use a zip lock bag to do the shaking and then transfer the mix to your laundry detergent container.
  3. Use 1 tablespoon for a regular load, 2 tablespoons for an extra dirty load.
Things to note:





No comments: